SuiteFiles 2018 Get Started Guide
Welcome to SuiteFiles 2018! This new version of SuiteFiles introduces a number of new features and overall improvements to the system.
This article will guide you through SuiteFiles 2018 101. You can jump to any section through the contents list below.
NOTE: The rest of the SuiteFiles Knowledge Base covers the older version of SuiteFiles. SuiteFiles 2018 is available through First Release to trials and some customers. If you'd like to get SuiteFiles 2018 for your business, please email email@example.com.
- Setting up your computer
- How to work with your files
- Working with your team in SuiteFiles
- Discover SuiteFiles Apps
- SuiteFiles for accountants
Setting up your computer
When using SuiteFiles for the first time it's important to ensure your computer and browser are all set up correctly for the best and smoothest performance.
This is what we recommend when using a Windows computer:
- Windows 8 or 10
- The latest version of the chrome browser
- Office 2016 / 365
- Adding your SuiteFiles site as a trusted site
- Installing our Chrome extension
This is what we recommend when using a Mac / OSX computer:
- The latest version of OSX
- The latest version of Safari
- Office 2016 / 365
Once you've met the technical requirements these are the top 3 things you should do to help with getting started with SuiteFiles:
- Bookmark your SuiteFiles site URL (should look similar to https://companyname.sharepoint.com)
- Bookmark this Get Started Guide for SuiteFiles 2018
- Save our support team's email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
How to work with your files
SuiteFiles is designed to make it easy for you to work with your files. Here we'll go through the common functions you'll be able to perform in SuiteFiles.
Before you can start working on files, you may like to create a new one. To do this simply:
- Navigate to the folder location where you want to save the file,
- Click the blue 'Create' button on the right-hand side of the browser,
- To create a file from a template, click 'File from template',
- To create a brand new file, select a file type,
- Give it a file name and click the 'Create document' button.
- The new file will be created in the folder and opened in either the browser or desktop app (depending on your User Profile Settings).
Upload a file from your computer by either:
- Dragging and dropping the file from the local folder on your desktop into SuiteFiles through the web app, or
- Clicking the blue 'Create' button and then selecting 'Upload from computer.' Select the file you want to upload.
The file will be stored in the folder currently open in SuiteFiles. You can also drag/drop folders and multiple files at once into SuiteFiles.
There are two ways you can edit Office Documents in SuiteFiles - Using Office Online (in the browser) or the Desktop Office apps.
Editing files in the web browser:
Editing your documents through the browser is a quick and easy option. The Office Web Apps offer you a light-weight version of the Office programs - Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
To edit a document through the web app:
- Click on the document title to open it
- Click on 'Edit in the Browser'
- Start editing. Changes are automatically saved as you work.
Editing files through desktop Office:
If you want the full functionality of the Office programs (like macros in Excel), or you simply prefer working from your desktop, then you can edit documents through the relevant program and still save changes back to SuiteFiles.
To edit documents through the desktop Office programs:
- Click on the document title to open it
- Click on 'Edit in Office'
- The file should open in the relevant Office program. Make your edits and then click 'Save' to save changes back to SuiteFiles.
Here are the different ways that you can save new files and changes into SuiteFiles.
Saving a brand new file
You can either create a new file in SuiteFiles or save a file from your desktop. If you want to save a new file you created on your desktop, you can either save it to the SuiteFiles Drive folder in Windows Explorer (see SuiteFiles add-ons for more info), or save it to your desktop and drag/drop it into SuiteFiles Web.
Saving changes made to a file
If you choose to edit a file in the web browser, changes will save automatically. There is a 'Save and close' button if you wish to use it, but otherwise, all changes will save automatically.
If you edit a file by clicking 'Open in Office', the file will open in the relevent Office desktop program. From there, click 'Save' to save your changes back to SuiteFiles.
You may need to do some re-organising and move a file to a different folder. There are two ways to move a file, either:
- Click the three dots next to the file name
- Select either Move or Copy from the menu that appears
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the folder where you want to move the file to
- Once in the correct folder, click either the COPY or MOVE button
- Tick the checkbox on the left of the file name (you can choose to move/copy multiple items)
- Click MOVE/COPY from the menu
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the folder where you want to move the file to
- Once in the correct folder, click either the COPY or MOVE button
To move multiple files, simply tick the boxes on the left-hand side of each file name. Select MOVE/COPY from the pop-up menu and choose a new folder location.
To move a folder, navigate to the folder that you want to move and click on the three dots next to the folder name. Select 'Move folder to' and use the pop-up window to choose the folder you wish to move the folder to.
If you have files or folders that you use frequently, you can favourite them, which will make them all appear in one convenient location.
- To favourite a file - Click on the small grey star at the far right of the file name
- To favourite a folder - Click on the grey star next to the folder name
To view your favourite files and folders, navigate to the 'Favourites' tab.
To remove a file or folder from Favourites, simply click the star next to the file or folder to turn it from yellow to grey. This item will no longer appear under your Favourites.
Working with your team in SuiteFiles
SuiteFiles is where your team works together to manage your documents - where you share files, organise folders, upload scanned documents, and set up templates.
You can share files with both internal and external users through SuiteFiles. Only internal users will be able to access your file system.
You can manage the items that have been shared with you under the 'Tasks' tab.
NOTE: An external user is someone who is not included in your Office 365 account
Either: Click the three dots next to the file name and select 'Share'
Hover over the file - three icons will appear between the file size colum and the favourites star. Click on the middle sharing icon.
- Enter either a) the name of an internal user, or b) the email address of an external user
- If entering a user, select the user from the drop-down list which appears upon typing
- If entering an external users email address, hit the enter key so an orange box appears around the email address
- Type a note to the recipient and choose an action option from the list provided
- Click the 'Share' button
To view the items that your team has shared with you, navigate to the 'Tasks' tab. Here, you can:
- Mark shared files as 'Done' once you've completed the task attached to that file.
- Download files.
- Add a comment to a shared file.
You can also check on your files that you've shared with other users to see if they've updated them.
A great file system is one where you can find what you need. To help you keep your folders tidy and easy to find, here's a list of what you can do with folders in SuiteFiles.
Create a folder - To create a new folder, navigate to the folder you want it to be in and either a) click the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Create subfolder', or b) click the blue 'Create' button and select 'Create folder.' Provide a name for your new folder then click 'Create'. You can also use a folder template if you have templates set up in SuiteFiles.
Rename a folder- To rename a folder, click on the three dots next to the folder name, click on 'rename', edit the folder name and click the 'Confirm' button.
Move a folder - To move a folder, click on the three dots next to the folder name, select 'Move folder to' and choose the new folder location. Click MOVE to move the folder or COPY to just make a copy of the folder in the new location.
Folder filtering - For folders with a lot of sub-folders inside it, you can filter them to find the folder you want easily. Simply start typing the first few letters of the sub-folder name and the folders will automatically filter. Only the folders that begin with the letters you've typed will appear. There is no filter box or field that you need to type into, just start typing!
Create a folder template - You can turn any folder (including sub-folders and files) into a folder template. To turn a folder into a folder template, click on the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Template folder'. In the pop-up window, enter a name and a description for the new folder template. Click 'Create and close' to create the template.
You can scan documents directly to any folder of your choosing within SuiteFiles. You can generate a unique email address for any folder in SuiteFiles. You can scan or email documents directly to a folder through this email address.
Your team or external users can upload documents to SuiteFiles by using this email address without needing to access your site.
Creating the email address for a folder - To generate a unique email address for a folder, click on the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Create Email Address'. A unique email address will be generated for that folder. Click on the blue copy icon to copy the email address to your clipboard. Use this email address to email documents to, or enter it into your scanner.
Filing Scanned Documents - When files are scanned to SuiteFiles, they will appear in the 'Scans' tab. From here, you can file documents to different folders by selecting the relevant folders from a drop-down list. You can also rename the file before clicking 'File it' to file the document to the chosen location. Once filed, the item will disappear from the Scans tab.
You can create and manage folder, file and email templates in SuiteFiles. This ensures that everyone in your team has access to the same material.
If you use Xero Practice Manager, Xero HQ or WorkflowMax, you can also prepopulate templates with client data through custom fields.
Turn a file into a template
- Click on the three dots next to the file name.
- Select 'Save as a Template'
- Give the template a name and click 'Save template.'
- Click on the 'Create' button.
- Select 'File from template'.
- Choose a template
- Give the file a name and (if you have an integration set up with Xero Practice Manager / Xero HQ / WorkflowMax) choose a client to prepopulate the file with their data.
Turn a folder into a template
- Click on the three dots next to the folder name
- Select 'Template folder'
- Give the folder template a name and description
- Click on 'Create and close'
- Click on either a) the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Create subfolder' or b) Click on 'Create' and select 'New folder'
- Give the new folder a name and choose a folder template from the drop-down list
- Click 'Create'
Turn an email into a template
- Create a new email in Outlook.
- Add in the content that you want the email to have. Add any merge fields that you want to use later to prepopulate with client information. Note: Remove your email signature from the body content before saving the email as an email template.
- Attach any file attachments you want to include.
- Click on 'Save as email template' in the message ribbon.
- Give the email template a name, tick 'Include Attachments' if required, and click 'Create Template.'
Create a new email using a template
- Open a new email in Outlook.
- Click on 'Insert from template' in the message ribbon.
- Select a template from the drop-down list
- Choose a client to prepopulate the template if required
Discover the SuiteFiles apps and add-ons
SuiteFiles Web is our main app, however, we also have a number of other apps and add-ons to make working with your files a breeze. Whether you need to quickly check a file on your phone, or you want to save emails and attachments into SuiteFiles, we have you covered.
Our apps and add-ons include:
SuiteFiles for Outlook:
The SuiteFiles Outlook add-on makes it easy to access your file system from your inbox. Use it to save emails and attachments into SuiteFiles, attach files to new emails, save emails when you send them, plus create and use email templates.
Once you download and install the add-on, SuiteFiles will appear as a new panel inside Outlook.
- Saving emails and attachments - Drag/drop any email into the relevant folder through the SuiteFiles Outlook add-in. If the email has attachments, they will be saved together. You can also drag/drop email attachments by themselves into a folder. A window will appear in SuiteFiles to show you the upload progress of each email/file.
- Saving on send - To save an email when sending, ensure the 'save on send' prompt is set up in Settings inside SuiteFiles Outlook. Whenever you send an email, SuiteFiles will prompt you to either send and save the email into a client folder, or to send the email without saving it.
SuiteFiles Drive is a companion app which allows you to work with your files through the Windows File Explorer. SuiteFiles appears as a folder on your desktop, allowing you to open, edit and save files, all from the cloud.
Alongside usual File Explorer functions, SuiteFiles also let's you:
- Share a file - Right-click a file and select the share option. Choose an internal user from the window and click on the share button.
- Create files from templates - While in a folder, right-click the blank space in the File Explorer and select the 'Create with template' option. Select the file template you want to use and give the file a name. Click on the 'Create file' button. select your template file, provide a file name and click the 'Create file' button
- SuiteFiles search - You can access Suite search at any time on your computer by using the keyboard shortcut of CTRL + SHIFT + S. Press these keys at the same time.
The SuiteFiles Chrome extension allows us to provide additional functionality when working in a Chrome browser. After installing it through Chrome, it:
- Cleans up some of the SuiteFiles web interface due to using Office Web apps inside SuiteFiles
- Provides additional functionality in Xero Practice Manager / WorkflowMax
- Provides an integration with Gmail, Inbox and Outlook Online
Chrome extension functions for Xero blue, Xero workpapers, Xero Practice Manager (XPM):
- Creating a client - When creating a new client in XPM you will receive a prompt asking if you'd like the client created in SuiteFiles. You have the option to use a folder template from the drop-down.
- Creating a Job/ Quote - When creating a new job or quote for a client in XPM you will get a prompt to have a folder created for this job or quote in SuiteFiles.
- Exporting workpapers - In Xero Workpapers when clicking the drop-down button 'Export Workpapers', you will have the option for the workpapers to be exported to SuiteFiles as a PDF or a ZIP file.
- Exporting reports - You can export reports from XPM or Blue Xero by going into the report then clicking the 'Export Pdf to SuiteFiles' button.
- Exporting Tax returns - You can export Tax Returns by clicking the Print button then clicking the 'Export PDF to SuiteFiles' button.
With this app, you can gain quick access to your file system in SuiteFiles from your Android device.
- Navigation - You can navigate between the Recents and Favourites tabs by simply swiping side to side or use the search icon in the top right to find files quickly.
- Opening files - To open a file, tap on the file name then the blue circle at the bottom of the screen. Select 'Open with...' and choose the appropriate third-party app (e.g. Office Word) to read the file. You can preview pdfs within the Android app.
- Uploading photos - When on one of the main tabs in the app (Recents or Favourites), tap the blue circle at the bottom of the screen to see an option to upload a photo. You can upload a photo from your phone's camera or photo gallery.
SuiteFiles for accountants
SuiteFiles integrates with Xero apps to provide smooth and productive workflows for accountants and bookkeepers. The integration will allow you to sync your files between the two apps, plus perform functions like prepopulate file and email templates with client data from Xero Practice Manager, Xero, and Xero HQ.
How to set up the integration:
- Connecting SuiteFiles to XPM
- Connecting SuiteFiles to Xero Tax
- Recommended Folder structure for Clients
See what you can do with our Xero integration:
Connecting SuiteFiles to Xero Practice Manager:
To connect your SuiteFiles site with Xero Practice Manager, you will need your Xero Practice Manager administrator to:
- Login to XPM
- Click on 'Business'
- Click on 'Settings'
- Select 'Document Management'
- Click 'Enable' next to the Suite logo
- When prompted, enter your SuiteFiles URL (e.g. https://companyname.sharepoint.com)
- You will be redirected to the Office 365 login page
- Enter your Office 365 credentials
- When prompted, click the 'Trust It' button.
This will set up the integration between SuiteFiles and XPM. Your client folders and documents should now start appearing under 'Clients' in SuiteFiles. Files that you upload into a client folder in SuiteFiles should also start to appear in XPM under the client's documents tab.
Connecting SuiteFiles to Xero Tax:
This integration needs to be set up manually by our support team using your unique key from Xero Tax. To generate this unique key you need to:
- Get a Administrator for Xero Tax to login to your Xero Tax account
- Click 'Business,' followed by 'Settings,' and then 'Add-ons'
- Scroll down to find the Suite logo
- Click Generate Key next to the Suite logo
- Scroll back to the Suite logo - your unique code should now be visible beside it
- Send this key to our support team at email@example.com and we'll then set the integration up for you.
Recommended Folder structure for Clients:
The SuiteFiles integration with Xero syncs your client documents between the documents tab in XPM and the corresponding client folder in SuiteFiles. For the integration to work, the following requirements must be met:
- All client folders must be under the top level 'Clients' folder in SuiteFiles
- The client name in XPM and the client folder name in SuiteFiles must match
Some businesses place clients under Groups in XPM. If you do this, the best folder structure to follow in SuiteFiles should be similar to Clients > Client Group Folder > Individual Client Folder.
For more info, read through the step-by-step instructions below.
Xero Practice Manager:
The SuiteFiles integration with XPM allows you to:
Prepopulate merge fields in file and email templates - You can insert merge fields into a file or email template. When using the template to create a new file, you can select a client to prepopulate that file with their information (this is pulled from XPM).
Access and upload documents into SuiteFiles using XPM's interface - When in a client in XPM, click on the Documents tab to access the folders and files stored
Create client folders in SuiteFiles when setting up new clients in XPM - After creating a new client, you will be prompted to create a corresponding client folder in SuiteFiles. You can also choose to apply a folder template that you have stored in SuiteFiles (NOTE: this function is only available after installing the SuiteFiles Chrome extension).
Print Reports to SuiteFiles - To export a report from blue xero into SuiteFiles:
- Select a report (old reports only)
- Click the 'Export Pdf to SuiteFiles' button
- Use the pop-up window to navigate to the folder you wish to save the report into
- Once in the correct folder, click the 'SELECT FOLDER' button.
- Select your
workpapers andclick on the 'Export Workpapers' drop-down button
- Select either 'Export PDF To SuiteFiles' or 'Export ZIP To SuiteFiles'
- Use the pop-up window to navigate to the folder you want to download these
Creating a new client - After you create a new client in Xero HQ, you will get a prompt asking if you want to create a new client folder in SuiteFiles. You will also have the option to use a folder template.
Renaming a client - When you rename a client in Xero HQ, you will you will get a prompt asking if you want to rename the client folder in SuiteFiles.
Archiving a client - When archiving a client in Xero HQ, you will get a prompt asking if you would like to archive the client folder in SuiteFiles.