Hopefully you never have to do this, but here's how to restore or download files and folders from you backup.
In This Article
- Accessing your backed up files
- Finding your folders and files
- Restoring files
- Downloading files
- Restoring Folders
- Downloading Folders
After logging into SuiteBackups you'll be taken to the Sites page. This details all of the sites that you're currently backing up. To access the files in a site click the URL link for that site.
This takes you to a view of all your backups, folders and files for a site.
Finding Your Backup
When you go to your site you will see the following.
The right hand pane lists all of the backups that have been made for your site. You select the date that you wish to restore from. In this case the backup from 8 July 2016 is selected.
The left hand pane details all of the document libraries in the SharePoint site collection. All document libraries are backed up and you select the library required to navigate through until you find the folder and files that you're looking for. The following example highlights the backup made on 27 June 2016 of the folder "Cloud IT Services" and the files within it.
Individual files can be restored from your back up. This is done by:
- Navigating to the folder you wish to download (in this case the Cloud IT Services folder),
- Selecting the file you wish to restore (in this case the Cloud IT Test Document.docx file),
- This opens a form that provides a preview of the file (if an Office document) and details about the versions of the file that are available,
- Click the RESTORE TO SAME LOCATION button,
- When the process has completed there will be a message to confirm this for you.
File Restore Outcomes
Restoring a file will have the following outcomes depending on the specific scenario:
- If there's still a file in the folder you're restoring to with the same name then the restore process will over write this file creating a new version of it in SharePoint Online, or
- If the file is still in the same location but has been renamed since the backup, the renamed file will be overwritten with a new version created in SharePoint Online, or
- If the file has previously been deleted from the folder you're restoring to then the file will actually be saved in to the root of the document library. For SuiteFIles users this is the Home folder.
Individual files can be downloaded from your back up to your local computer's Downloads folder. This is done by:
- Navigating to the folder you wish to download the file from (in this case the Cloud IT Services folder),
- Selecting the file you wish to download (in this case the Cloud Services IT Engagement Letter.docx file),
- This opens a form that provides a preview of the file (if an Office document) and details about the version sof the file that are available,
- Click the DOWNLOAD button,
- The file will download to your local Downloads folder on your computer.
To restore a folder you need to:
- Navigate to the folder you wish to download (in this case the Jo's Text Bankfolder),
- Click the Restore option then Current Folder,
- Confirm the download by clicking the RESTORE button,
- This starts a backend process to restore the folder.
The restored folder will be saved into a new location. A folder called RESTORED will be created in the root folder of your document library and the folder is fully restored to this location.
Downloading a folder takes all the content of that folder and puts it into a ZIP file before allowing you to download it. To download the contents of a folder:
- Navigate to the folder you wish to download (in this case the Albatross Transport folder),
- Click the Download option then Current Folder,
- Confirm the download by clicking the DOWNLOAD button,
- This starts a backend process that zips the contents together,
- When the process has completed the person requesting download will receive an email with a link to then download the ZIP file containing the full contents of the folder.
When you open the ZIP file you'll see the full content in your file system.